Student: "Why Are We Doing This?"

I have a student this year, who questions everything we do...unless it's a worksheet.  She's fine with worksheets, she understands worksheets.  At first is was "Why do I have to work in a group?" said with one of the sassiest faces I have ever seen.  Then "Why do I have to learn my classmate's names?".  "Why did we have to answer that question?".  "Why are we watching this video?".  Why? Why? Why?

She was really starting to get on my nerves.  How dare she question me?!?!?!  I kept my cool and calmly answered all of her questions.  I really thing God took over a few times because some of my responses to her were just plain genius.  I wish I could remember them now, but they're gone.  Anyway, as great as I thought my answers were, she thought different.  She would proceed to roll her eyes, but comply with my request anyway.

She was even there during my lesson planning (figuratively).  As I sat down to write a lesson, I would try to anticipate her questions and how I would respond.  I was so sensitive to her reactions that I was just about to ask Twitter for help.  That's when things started to change.

Her questions haven't stopped, but her attitude has.  I think she is starting to see that even though she doesn't know why we're doing something, there is a reason...so she asks...and I answer.  No more eye rolling and she's smiling.

I'm really glad she's in my class.  I believe I would say that even if her attitude would have stayed negative.  I question myself more now:  Why am I asking my students to do this?  Why should the students learn each other's names?  Why is it important that they work in a group for this assignment?  And I need an answer for each one...a good answer.  Thanks eye-rolling student!!

Comments