My Favorite Friday August 3rd

My first favorite is a favorite.  It's called "My Favorite No".  At first I thought they meant My Favorite Number.  But, they meant No
If you haven't been on The Teaching Channel yet, it's worth checking out.  This is one of my favorite ideas I plan to steal from that website. 

Basically the teacher gives a problem and all the students solve it independently.  It doesn't say it in the video, but I believe it would work best if the teacher gives a question that is digging for a misconception to clarify.  Then the teacher quickly looks through all the problems and picks one that is done incorrectly to discuss. 

I'm going to give this idea a try this year, but I may make some changes.  Such as...
I may randomly pick a problem without looking at it to see what students think.  This way I'm not telling the students whether it's right or wrong, that's up for the students to decide. 

We could look through a few problems to see if there are any trends in student thought and anything we need to go over. 

I'm blessed to work in a district where technology is supported and I have one of those document cameras.  This way I can cover the student's name and quickly display the problem for the class.

Comments

  1. I love this but haven't incorporated it yet. A must do this year. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered that video too, and it is definitely on my "to try" list. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of this! I really like your modification though of randomly choosing one! Then the kids have to do some deeper thinking to really analyze the problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about this from Kate Nowak's blog and did it about 2 times a week last year. It was FABULOUS! Please let me know if you have any questions. it is one of my favorite warm-up activities ever and really helps students understand without making them feel bad about getting things wrong. I always emphasize how they did the WHOLE problem right and just made one little mistake so they feel great instead of feeling like, "I missed it, AGAIN."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am implementing my favorite no this year as well. It is a wonderful idea, and the teacher sharing it on the video is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and I plan to use it! Oh, the many uses of index cards! Also, I have moved schools and no longer have a document camera. I have been told that I can purchase a web cam and attach it to one of those desk lamps (or something like that to use as a stand) and it will become my new, inexpensive document camera. As a bonus, it will have a long chord so that I can walk around the room to have students show work from their seats. As for the index cards, I have each student bring a pack of index cards that I collect the first week of school. I never run out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment