#Made4Math August 20 Slope Spinner


Last week I shared my y-intercept slider.  This week I'd like to share my Slope Spinner.  




INB Slope Spinner from Nora Oswald on Vimeo.



You will need:

  8.5 x 11 card stock
  scissors
  glue sticks
  brads
  safety pins





I started by gluing the white paper to the card stock.  You only need glue where the graph and arrow are located.  



Cut out the graph and the arrow.






With the safety pin, poke a hole in the center of the arrow (I placed a dot there) and the graph paper.
Put the brad through the arrow first, then the graph paper and open the "arms" in the back.




 Glue the back of the graph into the notebook (make sure you don't glue the brad).
I found it helpful to place a dot in my notebook where the arrow was pointing and then write the slope.




Suggestions:

Cut the corners of your graph so that the arrowheads don't get caught on them (you can see them catching in my video).

I didn't put axes on the graph paper because I didn't want my students to think that a line needed to go through the origin to have a slope.

Definitely ask the students to point out any patterns that they notice.




Other Thoughts:

I was trying to come up with something that incorporated both my y-intercept slider and my slope spinner, but everything I was trying to do was too complicated.  I suppose I'll leave that to computer animation......for now.

Comments

  1. I linked to this in the INB Notebook content page in msmathwiki http://msmathwiki.pbworks.com/w/page/57647982/INB%20Content :-) @aanthonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea that I can't wait to try with my Algebra 2 classes! They still struggle with remembering how to graph lines, and this has really been a problem when we're doing absolute value and piecewise functions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. both are such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 150 students doing interactive notebooks this year, so I need to conserve paper. Glueing the graph/arrow document to cardstock, was that just for stability? I'm thinking of putting 4 graphs on a page and printing them on white index/cardstock. I'll print the arrows on a different brightly colored sheet of cardstock.

    These are the kind of posts that inspire me to think outside the box when it comes to interactive notebooks. Thanks.

    http://schooloffisher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the card stock is for stability. I like your idea to print all the graphs on one paper and all the arrows on another paper. That makes sense. Thanks for the idea!!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this. I am working on Steeper and Flatter lines. Student have trouble realizing the a slope of 3 and a slope of -3 has the same steepness. I plan on using the lines on this. Thanks again.

    Caryn White
    www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm desperate to try an interactive notebook for my resource Algebra I class. I have tons of ideas and no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, I don't have a full-blown interactive notebook. My students (are suppose to) use a 3-ring binder and when I have an idea for something interactive, we glue the item to a sheet of paper and put it in the binder.
      If you haven't yet discovered math=love's blog, I suggest you take a peek there.
      http://mathequalslove.blogspot.com

      Delete

Post a Comment